1924 marks the year when J. Albert Gebhardt took his father's pool parlor and smoke shop to the next level. His father, John F. Gebhardt had established the original business on the main street in Hazleton, PA in 1906. After working with his father for a number of years, in which he repaired their own tables and also customers' tables, he found there was enough business to support a supply business.
At the time, the sports of billiards and bowling were closely aligned since The Brunswick Balke-Collender Company always had their billiard tables wherever there were Brunswick bowling lanes. In fact, in 1919 the Gebhardts installed two Brunswick bowling lanes on the second floor of their shop. Hence, the founding of Gebhardt Bowling and Billiard Supply Company.
Upon his death in 1946, J. Albert's business was continued through the aspirations of his son Robert G. Gebhardt, who had just returned from WWII in the Army Air Corps. Robert continued to build the business, taking on a partner, Frederick H. Krommes, for the Allentown, PA location in 1955. A third location was added in Wilkes-Barre, PA in 1958. In 1976, Robert's sons, John and Doug, joined the family operation full time and continue to carry on the tradition of a third generation, family-owned business.
From its simple beginnings, all three generations of Gebhardts and their employees have maintained their focus on the highest level of customer service and represent only the finest quality products for their customers. This dedication has led Gebhardts to be one of the country's leading retail location for Billiards and Home Recreation, Bowling, and Customized Awards and Engraving.